Saturday, 7 July 2007

The Bavarian Capital... München

Well... on Friday night I went to town with the guys from the dorm.
It was Wayne (Yugoslavian), Janath (Indian), Rui (Chinese), Jan (German) and myself.
I was driving and also recovering from being sick. I had to take Mon/Tues off work to see the doctor. So only had a couple of drinks. It was an ok night wandering around the bars, nothing eventful, but got back home around 4:30am.

I got up at 8am (body clock woke me up) so I went to the kitchen where Le Fourgue was with his mate Noel (French) having some breakfast. They asked if I wanted to come to Munich with them. After only 4 hours sleep I wasn't quite with it... but I said "sure". I had 20 mins to get ready... enough time to have a shower, get packed, have something to eat, then get to the car :-)

The trip there was ok... I lay down in the back of the small Citreon and had a bit of a sleep. The trip took about 3 hours because there was a bunch of traffic and accidents along the autobahns.

We arrived in Munich just before lunch. We were staying at one of Michel's mates, named Mohammed (from Tunisia). They were all spoke French... so had to listen to French all day :-P but it was a nice change from listening to German all day. Have I mentioned before I hate not knowing what the conversations around me are about?!? I'm actually starting to now say in some conversations... "what are you guys talking about?". I usually get a translation, but still miss the conversation. Anyways... back to the trip at hand.

We started our adventure by walking into the city along the scenic route through West Garten. It was very nice and only took about half an hour to get to the city. The first stop was Marienplatz, which contained the Rathaus (old city). This place was spectacular, but there were hundreds of people around and you were constantly trying to avoid walking into someone. I took lots of photos of course.


We walked all around here and saw the sites. We then walked through the Englischer Garten (huge park near the city centre). This place was interesting. There were many naked people sunbathing along the riverbank, so I guess it was deemed ok, because there were kids around and everything. Most of them were men, so seeing naked penis everywhere was a little strange. I couldn't help but imagine how bad sunburn would be..... well yes.


It was a lovely park anyway with some very beautiful scenery (try not to think dodgy thoughts). We ended up at a big biergarten in the centre of the park. You could definately tell you were in Baveria when there were people sitting around drinking in lederhosen. I was in Munich... so I had to get "ein grosses bier bitte!"


After that we decided to head home and have some dinner. Mohammed made us some yummy Arabic food, then we got ready to head out to a carnival. I got ready in 5 minutes flat, the Frenchies spent half an hour looking in the mirror and making sure they looked good. They were like girls (no offence to either party).

We headed out to the Olympic stadium to a carnival. It was nothing special, lots of people about, food, drinks etc. But you paid Munich prises for everything... $8 for chocolate fruit on a stick.
We stayed until about midnight then went home to bed.

All in all, a pretty relaxing day. What I needed while I'm still recovering from being sick.

No comments: