Friday, 7 September 2007

On my way to Poland

Well, I didn’t do much this week. I have started writing my paper now so I’ve been pulling 12 hour+ days at work to get it done on time. At least I’ve got something to write about and I’m confident that I will be able to get it done on time :-)

Friday morning I started my journey to Poland… now just to let you know, this was the worst planned everything going wrong weekend I’ve done so far :-P but it was still fantastic!

First, I had booked my flights in and out of Warsaw… as soon as I had booked them, everyone said “Warsaw’s shit… you should go to Krakow”. More about that later :-P

I got on my bike and just made it to the train station in time. I biked as fast as I could and ran as soon as I got off my bike, and the train just pulled up…. Whew!

So, from there everything was ok and I got some work done (reading that I’m doing at the moment) while on the train and on the plane. Checked in and arrived at Warsaw no problems. It was raining in Stuttgart, but above the clouds the weather was lovely.

Even though Poland is part of the EU, everyone still needs to go through a control point (which I haven’t had to do much)… I got another stamp in my passport! Woohoo.

Ok, so I got on a bus and went to the main train-station…. to head to Krakow :-) It wasn’t too expensive and only a 3 hour train ride. It took me an hour to get a ticket though because I had to find someone that spoke English, then wait to be served for ages.

Fast forward 4 hours (getting some more reading done) and I was in Krakow…. Where it was PISSING down!


I walked to my hostel, got some beers, and sat down with some of the people in the hostel and proceeded to drink quite a lot. I met some Poms and an American named Justin. Also, the girl on the hostel front desk for night shift joined us for a drink and some conversation… running to the door to let people in when need be.
(Justin)

That was my first day: travel, rain and mayhem… I could have planned this soooo much better, oh well.

No comments: