Saturday, 1 September 2007

Vysehrad and Czech Locals

Well... because of the late night (early morning) I didn't get out of bed until noon.

I got ready then half organised to do dinner at 9pm with the Portuguese guys and the French girls in the room. Then we all headed our separate ways to see the sites.

My first stop was the National Museum and the Opera House. The museum was especially cool. Now there's a lot of really cool stuff in Prague, so most stuff blends into the background... but not this.


After that I got on the Metro and headed to Vysehrad, a big church complex to the south of the main city, Old Town and New Town (which was founded in the 1400's so isn't that new).

I was walking beside two people most of the way to Vysehrad... my Aussie-dar went off again. I had a quick chat with them, an Aussie dude and a Czech chick. After we arrived we walked around and saw different things. The church was pretty average on the inside. and up close it doesn't look nearly as spectacular as from a distance. The grave-yard was pretty cool... lots of interesting style grave-stones and stuff.


I ended up walking around the parameter of the complex because it was a really nice walk with beautiful views of Prague (Vysehrad is built like a fortress on top of a hill). I ended up bumping into the Czech and the Aussie again, so I joined them for a beer.


The open air bar was really random. There were tables of people sitting around, and a lot were getting stoned. Not something you usually see... I later found out that Czech doesn't really police it as there's much worse things out there. After the beer with Johnny and Katerina, we had a walk along the streets back toward New City. Took some photos along the way... then we stopped for some dinner, pizza and beer :-) Now if you like beer, you will like Prague.

Over dinner we talked about all sorts. They told me about a Indie-Rock concert that was going on in a local park. It wasn't really a touristy thing and it was mainly going to be locals... which I thought was cool! So off we went.

We eventually found the park, which was a difficult task, even with a translator. And met up with some of Katerina's friends. There were probably around 100 or so people, so it wasn't a big concert. We lined up for beer... and it took about 45 minutes to get to the front... so we got 2 each :-P Murphy was playing tricks on me again, as we walked up to the field I stepped into a little hole in the field, fell over and lost most of one beer :-( I did pretty well to keep that much considering I fell right over.

We chilled out listening to the music, and again you could see and smell the pot coming off the crowd. It was pretty cool just chilling out drinking beer and listening to Indie-Rock. One really cool thing that happened was this little girl got up on stage with the band and starting dancing around... it was really cute!


The concert finished just before 10, and there was an after party... so we went to that. Now this was a REAL underground party. What I mean is... it was in an old bunker! So we went down into the ground about 4 or 5 stories. It was really interesting. We hung out here until about 1 or 2am then we left and caught the tram to our separate homes (gotta love European public transport!)


It was a really random day and I had a lot of fun. It's good to, because Johnny lives in Sydney, so I'm going to catch up with him when I head over there at the end of this year. And Katie is probably going to head out to NZ at some stage... so that's one of the most random encounters to date :-P

No comments: