Friday, 17 August 2007

Ich bin ein Berliner

On Friday I left work at 5pm to get to the airport on time. Checked in and got to my gate… just to wait an hour because the flight was delayed! Damn TuiFly… again. Don’t fly with them if you are in Europe, GermanWings are much more reliable.

Anyway… flying into Berlin was pretty cool. They had massive windfarms filling the countryside. It was dark flying in and the warning lights on the wind-generators looked fantastic. One farm of about 30 wind-generators was in sync, so the entire lot would flash at once… pretty cool.

Arrived at the airport, got my public transport map, then headed to Ruth’s place. I met Ruth in Stockholm. I told her I wanted to go to Berlins so and she offered her place for me to stay + herself as a free tour guide… of course I accepted. She lived very central in a nice place. I dropped my stuff off, had a catch up over a glass of wine, then we went out to see some of the Berlin nightlife.

Ruth told me that we were going to a club near the Stadtmitte we went down this street and stopped outside an iron gate. She talked to the bouncer but they wouldn’t let us in… so she had to call her friend Mark… who had to call his friend... who was the owner… so we got in through the bouncer.

We got in and the club was this chic club built inside an old Berlin postoffice. The roof was a massive dome, and the doorways were very high, it was pretty cool. The club was full of artists and all sorts. It was a private club so you had to know someone who knew someone to get in… a new experience for me.


We spent the first hour chatting and having a couple of drinks. Then the dance floor started up. Things got going pretty nicely. Of course I had a massive dance. Ruth had done dancing lessons before so her and I carved up the dance floor if I do say so myself :-)

It was about 5am by the time we left. We had a walk through the Stadtmitte in the early daybreak. It was pretty nice. We got home at about 6am… and pretty much crashed. Was a good first night introduction to Berlin.

No comments: